Conducting a Paper Course Instructor Survey
- Ask your departmental contact to request your Course Instructor Survey using the administrative site https://utdirect.utexas.edu/ctl/ecis/admin
- Your department contact will let you know when the surveys are available for student administrators to collect.
- Schedule a date during the survey period to conduct the CIS and allow 20-30 minutes of class time.
- Inform students prior to the survey day when the CIS will be conducted and explain to them how you use the results.
- It is university policy that Course Instructor Surveys remain anonymous. To ensure anonymity:
- Select a student from the class to administer the CIS. Neither the instructor nor the TA should be present while the CIS is being administered.
- Instruct the student administrator to follow the directions included in the CIS packet.
- Tell the student administering the CIS where to take the completed forms and who should take them. Neither the instructor nor the TA should see or have access to the completed surveys until results are returned the following semester.
Survey results will be sent to you before the first class day of the following semester.
Conducting Multiple Course Instructor Surveys
It is possible to conduct multiple surveys for the same course if the course is team taught or if you also wish to have your TA evaluated. In both cases the CIS request process and administration procedures differ from the standard steps.
- Each instructor must request a separate Course Instructor Survey using the survey request system.
- Schedule a date during the survey period to conduct each CIS and allow 20-30 minutes of class time for each survey. We recommend conducting each survey on a different date to avoid confusion and mixing up survey forms.
- If you decide to conduct multiple surveys on the same day, we recommend you ask the student administrator to:
- Administer only one survey at a time.
- Collect the first survey before distributing the second survey.
- Be sure completed surveys are returned to the proper envelope.
- Clearly state which survey is evaluating which instructor.
Conducting an Early Course Instructor Survey
Conducting an early paper survey is an option. Typically, early surveys are administered when there is a planned mid-semester change in instructor, the class has a lecture for the first half of the semester and a field experience in the second, or when the class is an accelerated class (shorter than the typical semester length in which it is taught). Any paper survey scheduled before the survey period is considered early. Instructors should inform their department CIS contact of their early survey requests. The department person will contact the Course Instructor Survey office to make a request.
How to Conduct an Electronic Course Instructor Survey (eCIS)
- Ask your departmental contact to request your electronic Course Instructor Survey using https://utdirect.utexas.edu/ctl/ecis/admin.
- Inform students prior to the survey period when the eCIS will be conducted and explain to them how you use the results.
- You will receive an email the day the eCIS system opens informing you that your course will be surveyed electronically and providing a link to the survey. This link will not show you how many or which students have responded, it is provided so that you can send it on to your students as an additional reminder to complete the survey.
- Your students will automatically receive an email notification the first day the survey period is open with a link to the eCIS homepage, https://utdirect.utexas.edu/ctl/ecis/index.WBX .
- A reminder email will automatically go out to students two days prior to the close of the survey period. During the survey period you are also encouraged to remind students to complete the eCIS.
- Survey results are available two days after official grade submission deadline. They can be accessed via MyCIS, https://utdirect.utexas.edu/ctl/ecis/results/mycis.WBX.